It's been an enlightening year...
On her 34th birthday, a friend of mine complied a list of 34 things she'd learned throughout her life. As I leave 31 behind, I realize that I have learned a lot this year alone. So while I may not get 31, here are the things I have learned since December 12, 2009:
1. Good friends really are hard to come by. Hold on to them when you find them.
2. Try to laugh every day. It makes everything better.
3. You may wish you were someone else while someone else is wishing they were you. The grass really isn't always greener.
4. Choose happiness. It's much better than the alternative.
5. Sometimes it's good to just have fun and not worry about anything else.
6. Don't let anyone make you feel inferior for not being what they think you should be.
7. It's okay to be a single thirtysomething girl. And if you don't agree, then you're an idiot. I'm not saying my life is better than my married friends. I'm just saying it's not worse.
8. Stop to smell the fresh laundry (I much prefer that smell to roses)
9. Take chances
10. Hug your grandparents every chance you get.
11. Don't forget to say I Love You to those that you love.
12. Some things are more important than getting an A in a grad school class.
13. If you get the chance to make new friends, do it. Every lifelong friend was once a new friend.
14. When it's your birthday, it's okay to be greedy.
15. Don't waste your time worrying about things you can't change. Everything really will work out in the end.